There are courses (not official) of palm trees. In the courses transmit all the knowledge inherited from parents to children by the guild of palm trees that are the ones that really provide you with the tools to make a living in this millenary profession.
The trade currently can not be learned in vocational training institutes so it is not possible to obtain official titles of palm tree. At the end of the course, a diploma from the teacher is awarded certifying that the knowledge has been transmitted and the student is able to carry out the work of palm pruning.
There is an intensive short course of 20 hours and another of 100 120 teaching hours depending on the student’s ability to learn. The course usually is “one to one” only one student per course although in some cases a maximum of 3 students per course could be admitted. The teacher turns completely to his student until he gets the best out of him to turn him into a professional.
* Check the price of each course.
CONTENTS OF THEORETICAL TRAINING
- History of the Elche palm grove since its inception.
- Typology of palm orchards and types of plantations.
- Recognition and location of historic orchards.
- Knowledge of other palm groves in the world and their uses.
- Palmerero and the work he does.
- Recognition of species and varieties of palm trees.
- Types and uses of the palm tree.
- Irrigation and other palm tree care.
- Agronomic study of the palm tree.
- Pests, pathological and disorders of the palm tree.
- Presentation and correct use of work tools.
- Cultivation of the date.
- Cultivation of the white palm
- Spanish for work
CONTENTS OF PRACTICAL TRAINING
- Use of ground cutting tools.
- The different climbing systems.
- How to access the palm tree
- How to pass walloons (the wide part above the palm tree)
- How to form Walloons and the different models that can be made.
- How to make folded and complicated palm trees.
- Professional pruning in height.
- Visual detection of pests and pathologies in the palm tree.
- How to treat palm trees using all existing methods.
- Biological treatment in palm trees and trapping.
- Cutting, lowering and elimination of palm trees.
- Transformation of the residues of the palm tree in furniture and decoration elements.
- Planting and transplanting small and large palm trees.
- Pollination of the palm tree.
- Clearing and selection of female inflorescences.
- Dates tied.
- Collection of the date.
- Date types
- Conservation and maturation of the date.
- Making capuruchos, (“encaperuzado” of palm trees).
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- RC insurance of the students.
- Provision of equipment and tools to each student.
- All the Epis is lent to the student to comply with the regulations on occupational risks, safety and hygiene.
- Tutorials during and after the completion of the course.
- Diploma delivery at the end of the course.